RICHARD GOODHIND, the son of RICHARD GOODHIND and MARY GOULD, was baptised on April 2, 1713 in the Presbyterian Chapel in Cullompton.

Richard (who we shall identify by his occupation as the "Victualler") married MARY HEPHES by Banns in St. Andrew's Parish Church in Cullompton on January 9, 1758 and one Samuel Goodhind was a witness.

They worshipped in the Presbyterian Chapel in Cullompton and had at least four children, who were baptised in that chapel:

A. RICHARD GOODHIND baptised on October 13, 1759. Richard married ELIZABETH SQUIRE by Licence, in Plymtree, Devon on September 4, 1783 and they had one child ANN who was baptised and buried on the same day in 1784. Richard was buried at St. Andrew's Church in Cullompton on September 26, 1788.

B. MARY GOODHIND baptised on April 18, 1762 who is thought to have died in November 1765

C. JOHN GOODHIND baptised on February 8th, 1767 who married SARAH BENNET. [This is our descendant line]

D. JOSEPH GOODHIND baptised on June 4th, 1769 Joseph married MARY BRICE on October 16, 1793 and they are known to have had at least four children, all baptised at St. Andrews Church in Cullompton.

1. WILLIAM GOODHIND (the "Carrier") born and baptised on October 14, 1795, who married JANE MILLS in Exeter on August 2, 1818.

2. RICHARD GOODHIND, William's twin brother, born and baptised on the same date. He married JANE ROSSITER on October 8, 1817.

3. JOHN GOODHIND (the "Wheelwright") born March 31, 1797 who married ELIZABETH MAY.

4. HENRY GOODHIND (the "Butcher and Constable") born on April 30, 1799 and married MARY DUMMETT on June 20, 1825 .

Richard and Mary may have had two further children:

E. MARY GOODHIND baptised on September 18, 1771

F. HENRY GOODHIND baptised on February 13, 1774 who is believed to have been buried on March 25, 1777

Richard became an innkeeper and Licensed Victualler and did not follow his father's trade in the woollen industry which was declining. The Sun Life Office in London insured the household goods in Richard's property and dwelling house "The George" in Church Street in Cullompton in 1770, describing it as Stone Cob and Thatched and later in 1774, he took a lease on the property for 99 years.

In 1778 he also became the lessee of a further property in Church Street, Cullompton called "Bones" situated close to St Andrew's Church. In the Sun Life Insurance records for this property, Richard was referred to as a Victualler and Maltster and his property was described as a dwelling house with cellars and a Malthouse. A Thomas Goodhine had been a tenant of Bones in 1690. Part of the property may still exist today.

Richard died in 1800 and upon his death, the Exeter Flying Post of 6th November reported:

"On 15th ult. Died Mr. Richard Goodhind, aged 64, who kept the George Inn, in the town of Cullompton, for 31 years past, with honor to himself, and reputation to his family."

In his Will, Richard left his properties between his sons John and Joseph, whilst the residue of his Estate was left equally between his wife Mary and his son John. Mary his widow, ran the "George" until 1804 after which it passed to his son John until 1811 and then to Joseph's son William until 1823, when it was sold.

Mary, Richard's wife, was buried in Cullompton on July 31, 1811.

Since 1753, innkeepers were required by Law to keep their houses in good order and prevent certain unsavoury activities taking place and could be convicted for selling ale and other liquors without licence. To become Licensed Victuallers, they had to give undertakings and also required the backing of a financial surety to support their application. Apart from Mary, John and William, many other Goodhinds in Cullompton were innkeepers at various establishments, having to obtain licences, or otherwise acted as sureties for other innkeepers in the town.

Top of the page
Return to the Goodhind Home Page