Whilst at present, our descendant line can only be traced to RICHARD GOODHIND who was born in the late 1600’s and married "ANN", various records exist of Goodhinds in Cullompton throughout the seventeenth century [1600’s].

During the English Civil War (1642 -1651) and subsequent religious strife, many records were lost, hidden or destroyed and it has not been possible to trace back Richard’s ancestry and the families with whom he may have been connected.

The names of many Goodhinds who were baptised, married or buried appear in the town’s Parish Registers, however as many pages are damaged, missing or incomplete, it has not been possible to connect the various families together, although some worked in the woollen industry.

Some are of interest:

  • Between 1636 and 1640, WIILIAM and AGNES GOODHINE's three daughters Johan, Mary and S? were baptised.

  • In 1641 when King Charles 1st was at loggerheads with Parliament, all men over 18 were required to make an Oath of allegiance to the Protestant religion and to the privilege of Parliament. In Cullompton, the Oath was taken before the Vicar, the town’s three Constables and other church officials. WILLIAM GOODHIND was one of the Constables and his signature appears as a witness on the role, as does the name of RICHARD GOODHYND who took the Oath.

  • On October 19, 1683 WILLIAM “sonne of Mr John Goodhind Wooll Comber” was buried.

  • The Presbyterian Meeting House in Cullompton was founded in 1695 and the first Goodhind name to be entered was of WILLIAM, son of RICHARD GOODHIND on August 31, 1698. Subsequently many Goodhinds worshipped there.

  • In the Anglican Church, various officials were appointed to assist in the maintenance of the Church and for the care of the poor of the parish. RICHARD GOODHIND was a Churchwarden of St. Andrews in Cullompton in 1686 and an Overseer of the Poor in 1690. The original financial accounts kept by him for 1690 still exist

  • On April 30, 1691 a Licence was granted by the Bishop of Exeter for RICHARD GOODHIND “Sergemaker” to marry SARA NEWMAN "spinster," both of Cullompton. A WILLIAM GOODHIND “Worsted Comber” acted as Richard’s surety. The marriage itself has not, so far, been traced.

Finally, in 1942, the Devonshire Probate Registry in Exeter was destroyed by fire after a German bombing raid and of critical importance, thousands of Wills which had been proved in the Registry were destroyed.

Included the following Goodhind Wills:

1690    Thomas Goodhind      Cullompton
1723    Richard Goodhind      Cullompton
1768    Richard Goodhind      Cullompton
1773    John Goodhind           Cullompton
1786    Samuel Goodhind       Silverton (near Bradninch)

Copies of those for the two Richards have been found, however the remainder are lost, but might have provided invaluable information about the families concerned.

The Devon Archives are carrying out a project to trace further information about any of the lost wills.     



Top of the page
Return to the Goodhind Home Page